Why I Switched to Flodesk from ConvertKit

7/25/19

Marketing

COMMENTS:

Since relaunching my newsletter a few weeks ago, I’ve received a lot of questions about what I’m using to create these emails and why I’ve decided to invest more time into growing this particular channel.

I’ve always believed in the power of email marketing, but in the past I struggled to get my newsletter out the door for one key reason. Put simply: I don’t have a lot of time to build out beautiful, well designed emails.

Flodesk Email Marketing Software — Why I switched from Convertkit to Flodesk by Natalie Franke

Use the code “NATALIE” to get 50% off your subscription for a lifetime!

I’m a busy perfectionist without a design background who can’t write a line of code. I wasn’t satisfied with the quality of the emails I was able to create in other platforms and without the help of a designer—I didn’t have the ability to bring them up to my high standards. I felt overwhelmed and therefore put email marketing on the back burner.

Enter Flodesk — a super simple platform to help you create gorgeous, high converting email campaigns.

It makes sending beautiful emails as simple as posting to social media. From the moment you create your account, you have access to beautiful templates and layouts that you can customize to match your brand in minutes.

Last year, two of my dearest friends from San Francisco, Martha Bitar and Rebecca Shostak, set out to build an email marketing platform unlike anything on the market. I have loved being an early adopter in their private beta and experiencing the Flodesk team turning feedback into features in real time.

In less than a year, they’ve managed to build a platform that’s more intuitive than others who have been in the game for 17+ years  (I’m looking at you Mailchimp). Yes, there are a lot of features still in the works, like a Zapier integration, but new features get released almost daily. And even more exciting—you can request them.

Today, I’m sharing the three reasons why I’m switching my business over to Flodesk for email marketing. Let’s dive in.

ONE: CREATE GORGEOUS EMAILS IN MINUTES

In Flodesk, you can create beautiful layouts that make your emails look like they’re coming from a big brand with an entire marketing + design team (think: Anthropologie aesthetics with Canva’s click and drag functionality—it’s downright magic!).

The Flodesk team has built proprietary technology that allows you to add custom fonts into your emails that display correctly every time—no other platform has this! You can also see how your emails will look on desktop and mobile so that your email display seamlessly across all devices.

You can also save your brand colors and logo in your account settings to make transforming templates a breeze.

TWO: GROWING YOUR LIST IS A BREEZE

Flodesk makes it easy to build your subscriber list. You can launch a lead magnet in minutes. Simply create a form, customize it to match your brand, paste the HTML onto your blog or website and direct your audience to download your magnet.

It only took me five minutes to build the subscription page on my website and it looks great on desktop and mobile.

Flodesk Email Marketing Platform

With other platforms, I always felt like the form functionality was clunky and hard to customize. I’d spend hours trying to get everything to line up just right. Flodesk has simplified the process and put the power back into your hands.

And I really love the analytics overview for each email. It’s super informative and yet easy to understand—giving you insights that can improve your marketing performance.

THREE: THE PRICING STRUCTURE

Other platforms punish you for growing your list. The more subscribers you add, the more you pay each month. Flodesk is different.

For a single monthly fee, you get unlimited subscribers and access to all features. And they are enabling members of their private beta (like me) to offer you 50% off your Flodesk subscription. That means rather than paying $38 per month, you can get access for $19 per month for a lifetime. Y’all that is an amazing deal. (And there is a good chance Flodesk will raise prices once they are out of the private beta—so jump on it now to lock in your rate!)

Before Flodesk, I was paying 10 times that every month to use ConvertKit.

I love that this platform doesn’t raise your monthly fee as you grow your list. That’s a pricing structure that I can get behind.

BONUS: ADD YOUR INSTAGRAM FEED

Oh, and for a time saving hack, you can easily pull your Instagram feed right into your email! It gets updated automatically and keeps your welcome sequence super relevant by pulling your latest content right into the email. Using this feature to leverage my existing Instagram content is becoming one of my favorite productivity hacks when it comes to email marketing.

I also invite you to subscribe to my newsletter to see these emails in action. I send a weekly email that’s packed with stories, business tips, doodles, and industry happenings.

Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links and I would love if you decided to use them. Affiliate links + referrals programs help educators like me to fund the free content that we provide on our blogs.

To take advantage of my referral offering, use the code NATALIE at checkout!

1. Tiffany Farley

July 26th, 2019 at 7:41 am

Hey Nat! How’s the tagging for subscribers compared to Convertkit? I’m a huge CK fan because of how I can organize my list- but Flodesk has a lot of great features that have me . How’s the experience after opt-in?

2. Natalie

July 26th, 2019 at 10:47 am

This is one of the areas I love the most! You organize your list with Segments, and you can Segment manually (say, importing your ConvertKit list) or automatically (subscribed to Lead Magnet). Tagging is done by their system so you can have more color on each subscriber and it makes it so much easier, for example, in my CRM view I can see what device a subscriber prefers and even add custom fields like last time we spoke, phone number, and so on.

3. Nicole

July 30th, 2019 at 3:10 pm

This looks so awesome! Does it connect with WordPress or anything to do automated new blog post emails or is it just for single blasts?

4. Meagan

August 3rd, 2019 at 1:22 am

I’d like to try out a trial but I have a couple of questions for them and can’t find an email ANYWHERE. Do you happen to know how to contact them?

5. Natalie

August 5th, 2019 at 1:43 pm

I have their CEO on speed dial! 😉 They are the best. Connecting you via email.

6. Erinn

August 6th, 2019 at 11:37 am

Hi Natalie!
    I just found you and subscribed to your newsletter. Looking forward to learning from you and the community you’ve created.
    I was looking for your Flodesk discount code so I can sign up but didn’t see it in your article.
    Thank you for your review of Flodesk- I was about to spend crazy money on another program but God placed this in front of me instead. Thank you!!!

7. Natalie

August 6th, 2019 at 11:58 am

Here ya go: https://flodesk.com/c/NATALIE — I hope you love it!

8. The Best Email Marketing System for Entrepreneurs | Kate Spitz Photography

August 7th, 2019 at 3:07 pm

[…] few days later, Natalie dropped a blog post about switching email marketing platforms from ConvertKit to a new service she had been beta testing, […]

9. Samantha

August 9th, 2019 at 10:10 am

AHHH I’m SOLD– BUT, I need an integration with Thinkific before I can make the switch. Any idea on when that feature would be available?? DYING to switch now!! Also, how’s the customer service?? I have a free trial but don’t see where I can contact support or chat like Convertkit ;/

10. Natalie

August 28th, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Hm, I know they have a few big integrations in the pipeline. I’m not certain if/when Thinkerific is on the list, but you can always reach out to their team to find out!

11. Danielle

August 17th, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Hello 🙂 So, is that discount for just one month, or a lifetime? I’m not quite in the market yet for a paid email marketing system, but I’ve been looking around for cheap options so I have an idea down the road.

12. Natalie

August 28th, 2019 at 1:21 pm

This is best part: LIFETIME. As long as you keep your account active and use the code NATALIE – you’ll get 50% off your subscription. Yayyy!

13. KimberlySundt

August 21st, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Hi, Natalie – I signed up through you and have already been emailing Martha! Am really excited. Anyway, I have CK and my host (is that what it is called?) is GoDaddy. Can I keep my ConvertKit account alive AND make my Flodesk account live? I’m not sure I can do the verification on FD and keep CK alive. GoDaddy was ZERO help. Thanks for this!

14. Natalie

August 28th, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Woohoo! Martha and the devs should be able to best answer this for you. I made the official switch from Convertkit so I no longer use their platform at all. (Excited to have you in the Flodesk family!)

15. Tena

August 26th, 2019 at 11:54 am

What service do you use to process payments? I am currently an Infusionsoft user and would love to kick it to the side for something easier.

16. Natalie

August 28th, 2019 at 1:23 pm

I run most of my payments through the HoneyBook platform (I’m primarily a service based business). For shop items, I currently use Shopify as well. There are a ton of payment processing options out there and you may be able to get an even better rate than what you’re getting through Infusionsoft.

17. 10 Reasons to Switch to Flodesk from Convertkit [A Full Flodesk Review] | The Success Mountain

October 18th, 2019 at 10:11 am

[…] Franke Hayes  answered a discussion in the Flodesk Facebook group […]

18. Lindsey Hazel

October 27th, 2019 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for sharing this Natalie- I too had gotten to the point where “I didn’t have the ability to bring them up to my high standards. I felt overwhelmed and therefore put email marketing on the back burner.”

After trying out Flodesk for 30 minutes I’m making the switch!

Love love love flodesk!