Monday Musings | The Letter

3/18/13

Monday Musings

COMMENTS:

Cars zipped along carelessly on Las Vegas Boulevard and the laughter of tourists danced on the sidewalks below, as I sat in a crowded hotel room surrounded by the faces of newly found friends. With tears in my eyes, I poured out my soul and my story in way that I had never done before. Recounting memories of the past, fears for the future, I laid everything on the table. And in mustering up the courage to share my vulnerabilities… I was forever changed.

Two days later, in a crowded auditorium, Mary Marantz presented me with a letter. A beautiful letter written by the incredible Hannah Brencher… A young woman who decided that the world needed more love letters. An inspiring person that I have never met, but who took my heart in her hands and wrote the words that I never realized I needed to hear.

Today I am sharing this letter with all of you. I am sharing this letter to each and every person who has ever struggled or worked so hard to stay positive during the most difficult of times. For the fighters, the believers, the hopeful. These words are meant for you… Just as much as they were meant for me.

"I don't need to know the laughter lines of your yesterday or the places where scars are still living inside of you to know that you bring other people out of the dark. Your story speaks of it. Your heart radiates of a goodness that makes the world blush and the stars grow jealous of how you outshine them so effortlessly." - Hannah Brencher | Love Letter

Natalie,
Truth told, I don’t know you apart from the pieces of a story I’ve gathered along the way or the path toward finding the courage to write you this letter. Surprisingly even after writing hundreds upon hundreds of letters, there is still an anxiousness that rises from my stomach every time I sit down to the page. There is still this hope stirring that I will write the right thing. That I will somehow find a way to stitch together the words you need to hear in this moment.

You are a bright one in this world, I know that much is true. There are just some people who are called to be the lights and the lanterns and guides for others who have lost their way or need to know there is a reason to push on. I don’t need to know the laughter lines of your yesterday or the places where scars are still living inside of you to know that you bring other people out of the dark. Your story speaks of it. Your heart radiates of a goodness that makes the world blush and the stars grow jealous of how you outshine them so effortlessly.

I know it’s not easy to believe this. I know. I know there are days where you want to curl up in a ball and curl your hands into fists at the disbelief of it all.

We all go through that. We all doubt our impact. We all want to unfurl from our calling sometimes to chalk it up to never doing enough, never being enough, never touching enough people, never saying the right things.

Please, in this very moment, know yourself for what you truly are: a miracle. A rare presence in an overcrowded room. A someone who shakes the souls and tests the heart strings of adversity, and makes others fall in love with a life that had previously been seeping and sopping with grey. You are the kind of person that stirs people into a thick brew of gratitude, and faith, and anticipation for the beauty of what tomorrow will bring.

Keep pushing on. Keep pressing on. Don’t let anyone in this wide, wide world ever try to snuff out the light you bring. Other people will find themselves coming home because of you.

Home to a life they used to find so much joy in until the days grew longer and the challenges grew thicker.

You are remarkable. You are needed. We – the ones who get to stand beside you, or read of you, or hear fragments of your journey from across the room. We are the lucky ones.

Sending light and love,
Hannah

Thank you Hannah for writing these words… for writing the things that people so rarely take the time to say. Thank you Justin, Mary, Liz, Ryan, Jen, Ashley, Jeremy, Katie, Serena, Josh & Caleb for everything and so much more. You are the lights and the lanterns in my life… And you’ve inspired me in more ways than you will ever know.

This trip, this experience… was so much more than I ever could have imagined.

March 18th, 2013 at 7:48 am

Wow, what an incredible letter 🙂

2. Brea

March 18th, 2013 at 7:48 am

Wow. What a beautiful letter! I can only imagine the emotion of reading it the first time. I have to agree, although I haven’t met you and I don’t “know” you, from what I do know of you from how you share yourself with the world on your blog, you really are an amazing and loving person, totally an inspiration.

3. Kathy

March 18th, 2013 at 8:23 am

Oh my goodness, what a sweet, kind, thoughtful letter. Just like Brea (and I’m sure countless others) I have to agree as well. You’re definitely a lantern and the best part is you’re so incredibly gracious and sweet. 🙂

4. Paige Overturf

March 18th, 2013 at 8:43 am

Wow, Natalie! This touched me so much! You ARE an incredible person. Although I don’t know YOUR story, I know that as an artist, we all have fear and doubt. Thank you for living a life of inspiration for so many of us!! I think you’re amazing.

5. Lauren

March 18th, 2013 at 8:52 am

Absolutely beautiful and wholly deserved. You are a lantern miss Natalie and it makes me so thrilled to know that others see and recognize it as well.

endless x’s and o’s

6. Katie Y

March 18th, 2013 at 9:10 am

Oh my goodness that letter is beautiful.. Just like you Natalie! Inside and out 🙂 I’m so glad this trip was an incredible experience for you!

7. Janice

March 18th, 2013 at 9:24 am

What a great and true letter to receive. And how inspiring – I’m going to go read Hannah’s blog!

8. Emilia Jane

March 18th, 2013 at 9:54 am

Holy wow! That is so incredible Natalie 😀 Amazing.

9. Katie

March 18th, 2013 at 10:27 am

Natalie, you are such an incredible person! You are so positive and so beautiful…so funny and so loyal. I am so happy to have gotten to know you in Vegas and so grateful to be able to call you a friend!! Love this post, love your heart, and love you!

10. Ashley Barnett

March 18th, 2013 at 11:07 am

Natalie there are not enough words to express how thankful I am to have you in my life. How proud I am of you for being vulnerable, being open, and having the courage to use hard times in your life as a beacon of hope and strength for others. You are a delight to this world, and I’m SO lucky to have you as a friend!!!

11. Dani

March 18th, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Beautiful. And totally true. 🙂

12. caitlin elizabeth

March 18th, 2013 at 12:41 pm

this is so touching!

13. Christy Tyler

March 18th, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Beautiful beautiful beautiful! What an amazing thing!!!

14. Tiffany Farley

March 18th, 2013 at 1:24 pm

LOVE!!! She is the best writer I know!

15. Jen Jar

March 18th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Natalie, I had no idea that going to WPPI was going to lead to me spending so much amazing time with you and getting to really know you. You have changed my outlook on life, and I will cherish our moments in Vegas together forever. Thank you for being YOU. I love you to the moon and back!

16. Josh Gooden

March 18th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

That letter is amazing Natalie! It was such a treat to finally get to meet you and hang out!! To get to know you beyond the photography world was amazing. You all really inspired me and pushed me out of my comfort zone last week. I’m absolutely thrilled that we all get to hang out again at your wedding and I will cherish this past week forever. :]

17. Serena Severtson

March 18th, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I heart everything about this. What a sweet letter and what a wonderful person you are. I’m so very glad to call you my friend. <3

18. Jenna Walcott

March 19th, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Such truth spoken! What a moving letter – yet so deserved! I too am so grateful for our friendship! xoxo

19. Michele

March 20th, 2013 at 8:44 am

Such a great story!! Thanks for sharing!!

20. Sometimes you have to join a movement | Amanda Liew

March 22nd, 2013 at 1:34 am

[…] stuck out to me was my conversation in the morning with Natalie Franke. She was telling me that she got a letter from a stranger this past week, and it was exactly what she needed at the moment. By the time she […]

21. Amanda Liew

March 22nd, 2013 at 1:39 am

Seriously so touched by this, that I just wrote my own blog post about it! So excited to be joining this movement. The world DOES need more love letters!

22. nataliefranke

March 22nd, 2013 at 10:33 am

Absolutely LOVE your post! It makes me so happy to see the love letters spread!